Have you always dreamed of illustrating Children’s Picture Books? Join Denise and Sabina as we share our experiences and techniques and learn how to develop creative original images for picture books.
5 weeks course (start any time):
- The fundamentals of creating a picture book.
- How to use a book map to create your book dummy. (What is a book dummy anyways?!)
- Researching/ References.
- Character development.
- Anatomy of a Picture Book.
- Finalizing sketches.
- Using emotions, relationships and moods.
- Learn about Independent Publication.
- How to submit your work to an agent or publisher.
- Creating appealing book covers.
Foundation class or having the following skills:
Hand drawing: self taught beginner, intermediate and advanced students.
Processing graphics: intermediate to advanced. You need to be able to process your drawings either in Photoshop or Illustrator. Knowledge of Illustrator is NOT required!
Please note, this class does not teach how to create vector hand drawn graphics.
Drawing materials: sketchbook, pencils, tracing paper or light box. Any other materials you are used to create your graphics.
Hardware: camera or phone to take pictures of your work, scanner (optional), printer. You are NOT required to use drawing tablet!.
Software: Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator.
Other: Good internet connection
- By the end of this course you will have completed a full book dummy and 2 finalized color. portfolio pieces.
- In 5 weeks, you will have 2 spreads to use in your portfolio and the knowledge to independently publish your book.
- Independent publishing might not be the route you are interested in taking, but that’s okay. You’ll come away from this course with the knowledge on both sides of the spectrum. In order to independently publish right, you need to have a damn good book! We want to teach you just that.
Schedule and Format
The class is now open for registration as self-study and you can start anytime. The Paced class lectures are released every 7 days (weekly). The Self-Paced class lectures are available all at once. There is no schedule or deadline for the assignments (apart from the end of the class access).
The format is recorded video lectures, tutorials, exercise sheets, assignments with feedback by your tutor in the Gallery. You will be able to ask questions in the private forum.
Enroll In The Class
£ 213= $300
- start anytime
- 90 days of access
- Video lectures & downloads
- All lectures available at once
- Feedback by Denise and Sabina
I am learning so so much and can’t wait to have some new work to add to my portfolio! I highly recommend this course if you are wanting to learn…
The class was very well planned and executed. It was easy to follow the class and learn through doing the assignments. The bonus content was also amazing motivation to help…
This class was so AMAZING!! It was filled with lots of valuable information, it has inspired me and pushed me to begin creating childrens books. Something I have never done…
I really enjoyed the Illustrating Picture Books class with Denise and Sabina. The class has given me the confidence (after spending years at home, out of the workforce and taking…
About the tutors